SP Member News Roundup – September 2023
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers and their large and small suppliers to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through September 2023 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- American Battery Technology Company Receives Contract from US DOE for $20M Project to Accelerate Commercialization of Next-Generation Advanced Battery Recycling Technologies, American Battery Technology Company has received a contract grant award for its $20 million project from the U.S. Department of Energy for a multi-partner industry collaboration to demonstrate and commercialize next generation techniques for lithium-ion battery recycling processes to manufacture low-cost and low-environmental impact domestic critical battery materials. Learn More.
- SK ecoplant and Ascend Elements to Build New Lithium-ion Battery Recycling Facility in Southwest Kentucky, U.S.-based Ascend Elements is partnering with South Korea-based SK ecoplant and its e-waste recycling subsidiary, TES, to build a $65 million lithium-ion battery recycling facility in Hopkinsville, Ky. The 100,000-square-foot EV battery recycling facility will disassemble and shred approximately 24,000 metric tons of used EV batteries and gigafactory scrap per year – or approximately 56,000 EV batteries per year. Learn More,
- Closing the Loop in North America for Recycled Battery Materials, BASF and American Battery Technology Company announced they will form a partnership to provide the North American market with a regional, closed-loop solution for lithium-ion batteries. Learn More.
- Ascend Elements Raises $542 Million to Accelerate Production of U.S.-engineered Lithium-Ion Battery Materials, Ascend Elements, a U.S.-based manufacturer of sustainable, engineered battery materials for electric vehicles, announced it has raised $542 million in new equity investments, including $460 million in Series D investments and $82 million of additional investments from earlier this year. Learn More.
- AGC Successfully Develops Proprietary Electrolyte Production Technology for All-Solid-State Batteries, AGC, a manufacturer of glass, chemicals, and high-tech materials, has announced that it succeeded in developing a new production technology for sulfide electrolytes used in all-solid-state batteries. Learn More.
- Blue Whale Materials Selects Bartlesville, Oklahoma for its First Commercial-Scale Li-Ion Battery Processing Facility, Blue Whale Materials announced an inaugural li-ion battery processing facility in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. This strategic milestone underscores the company’s commitment to advance the domestic li-ion battery supply chain and create US sources of critical minerals for the green energy transition. Learn More.
- Clarios Issues ESG Report Highlighting Leadership in Environmental Responsibility, Ethics and Sustainability, Clarios published its Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) report detailing the company’s leadership in corporate responsibility and sustainability. Learn More.
- DENSO Launches “Everycool,” a Commercial Vehicle Cooling System for Trucks that Improves Cooling Efficiency and Reduces Environmental Impact, DENSO CORPORATION has announced that it has developed “Everycool,” an advanced cooling system that provides comfort and energy efficiency when a commercial vehicle’s engine is off. Learn More.
- DENSO, Governor Whitmer Announce Company’s $63M Investment in Battle Creek During Japan Visit, On the second day of her investment mission to Japan, Governor Whitmer and DENSO announced that the global mobility supplier is investing $63 million in its Battle Creek thermal manufacturing facility to retool production lines, accommodating product offerings that will support the electrification of vehicles in the years ahead. Learn More.
- Eaton invests $150 million to increase manufacturing of vital electrical infrastructure for North American businesses and communities, Eaton announced the investment of an additional $150 million to increase the supply of its electrical power distribution solutions for customers across North America. Learn More.
- FigBytes Boosts Scope 3 Solution With Scenario Analysis and Enhanced Emissions Tracking, FigBytes announced the release of its enhanced Scope 3 solution and several supporting updates to its platform. Learn More.
- Honda East Liberty Auto Plant Earns E3 Platinum Achievement Award from Ohio EPA, Honda announced that the environmental team at the company’s East Liberty Auto Plant has been honored with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency’s prestigious Encouraging Environmental Excellence Platinum Achievement Award. Learn More.
- BMW, Ford and Honda Agree to Create ChargeScape, a New Company Focused on Optimizing Electric Vehicle Grid Services, BMW Group, Ford Motor Company and American Honda Motor Co., Inc. announced that they have entered into an agreement to create ChargeScape, LLC, a new equally owned company that will create a single, cost-effective platform connecting electric utilities, automakers and interested electric vehicle customers. Learn More.
- Honda and the Honda USA Foundation Launch Annual Funding Cycle to Support Organizations Serving Local Communities, Honda and the Honda USA Foundation announced the opening of their annual funding cycle for eligible nonprofit organizations and schools. Learn More.
- Li-Cycle and Glencore Accelerate Operational Plans for European Recycling Hub, Li-Cycle Holdings Corp and Glencore International AG announced plans for a two-phase approach to the Portovesme Hub project in Sardinia, Italy to expedite the production of battery-grade lithium carbonate. Learn More.
- Magna Commitment to Sustainability Award Winner: Smart Energy Savings, The maintenance team at Formex, a Magna division in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, envisioned doing the same thing – but on a much bigger scale. It was a smart move that earned the division a 2022 Magna Commitment to Sustainability award in the process category. Learn More.
- Ricardo supports Toyota with launch of its first UK-based prototype hydrogen light commercial vehicle, Ricardo has supported the launch of Toyota’s first UK-designed and built prototype hydrogen fuel cell electric-powered light commercial vehicle. In partnership with the APC – through which the UK Government has provided funding for the project -Ricardo has been working with Toyota to develop a Hilux hydrogen variant that is the first of its kind. Learn More.
- Aramco and Stellantis Collaboration Indicates eFuel Compatibility with European Engine Families, Stellantis has concluded that 24 engine families in European vehicles sold since 2014, representing 28 million vehicles on the road, are ready to use advanced drop-in eFuel without any powertrain modification, following months of testing at its technical centers across Europe. Learn More.
- FuelCell Energy and Toyota Announce Completion of World’s First “Tri-gen” Production System, FuelCell Energy, Inc. and Toyota Motor North America, Inc. have announced the completion of the first-of-its-kind “Tri-gen system” at Toyota’s Port of Long Beach operations. Learn More.
- WM Unveils New $30 Million State-of-the-Art Recycling Facility in Cleveland, WM announced it has opened a nearly 100,000 square-foot recycling facility in Cleveland. The state-of-the-art technology deployed in the new facility is expected to process up to 420 tons of recyclables per day. Learn More.
- SP Publishes Water Stewardship Strategy Framework for Automotive Value Chain. SP has announced the publication of a new guidance document, the “Water Stewardship Strategy Framework”. Learn more.
- Suppliers Partnership for the Environment (SP) Announces 2023 Environmental Sustainability Award Winners. SP announced the recipients of its 2023 environmental leadership awards at its quarterly membership meeting in Warren, Michigan. Learn More.
- Partnering to provide guidance on a sustainable supply chain. This article highlights recent experiences of SP in developing common guidance related to environmental sustainability goals in the automotive industry. Learn more.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to email@example.com for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.