SP Focus Issues
Since 2002, the Suppliers Partnership for the Environment (SP) has provided a leadership forum for global vehicle manufacturers and their large and small suppliers to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
SP’s members work together toward through member-driven working groups to facilitate best practice sharing and support increased collaboration related to industry environmental sustainability needs and priorities.
SP Focus Issues
Striving to transform automotive manufacturing operations to achieve positive environmental impact through minimizing resource use, optimizing efficiency and advancing innovation.
Striving to eliminate waste and optimize use of sustainable materials in automotive operations and products.
Striving to help automotive suppliers minimize their environmental impact and advance sustainable innovations at scale through sharing of environmental best practices, tools and resources.
SP hosts quarterly membership meetings rotating across key automotive regions in the USA to provide an opportunity for members to connect and share environmental sustainability best practices and strategies with industry peers and government partners, learn about emerging issues impacting the environment and their business operations, and identify new opportunities for collaborative action.
SP Work Groups
SP maintains a number of member-driven working groups and initiatives to facilitate best practice sharing and advance collaboration related to established focus issues. Below is a summary of some of our current work group activities:
- Carbon Neutrality: Supporting industry dialogue and action on common definitions, tools, and resources for measuring and advancing carbon reduction efforts across the value chain on the path toward carbon neutrality.
- ESG Leadership Strategies: Supporting SP members in better understanding the rapidly changing ESG landscape and proactively preparing their organizations to address current and emerging ESG expectations.
- Global Product Chemical Compliance Process Management: Providing a forum to support OEM / supplier dialogue on emerging global product chemical compliance process management challenges and opportunities.
- Nature Based Solutions: identifying, developing and advancing nature-based solutions as effective tools to improve climate resilience and pollution prevention, as well as provide human well-being and biodiversity benefits.
- Responsible Batteries: Providing a forum for SP members to share information on end of life issues and opportunities relating to advanced EV batteries and for members to work together to advance responsible management of such technologies through their lifecycle.
- Sustainable Materials: Working to move the automotive industry towards a circular materials economy by promoting collaboration amongst automotive manufacturers and suppliers to incorporate sustainable practices, processes, and materials in the production and content of vehicles.
- Sustainable Packaging: Working to identify voluntary opportunities and best practices to minimize packaging waste and promote consideration of sustainable packaging materials.
- Technology & Innovation: providing a structured process to assist companies of all sizes within the SP network to share innovative ideas and solutions that can address our member companies’ significant environmental sustainability challenges and needs.
- Water Stewardship: Developing a sector-wide water stewardship program that is centered on a decision matrix and action plan that helps member organizations achieve excellence in their water stewardship performance.
Alianza Automotriz Para La Sustentabilidad Ambiental (AASA) is an initiative of SP designed to provide automobile original equipment manufacturers and their suppliers the opportunity to improve their environmental performance and competitiveness, while providing value throughout the automobile supply chain in Mexico.
Please feel free to contact us to learn more about overall SP work group efforts and how to get involved as a member. Members may also use our open idea and project proposal submission process to suggest ideas for future SP activities.