SP Focus Issues
Since 2002, Suppliers Partnership for the Environment (SP) has been a leading forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact. SP members represent organizations from across the automotive value chain, including leading global automakers, such as Ford, General Motors, Honda, Stellantis, and Toyota.
SP’s members work together toward through member-driven working groups to facilitate best practice sharing and support increased collaboration related to industry environmental sustainability needs and priorities.
SP Focus Issues
Striving to transform automotive manufacturing operations to achieve positive environmental impact through minimizing resource use, optimizing efficiency and advancing innovation.
Striving to eliminate waste and optimize use of sustainable materials in automotive operations and products.
Striving to help automotive suppliers minimize their environmental impact and advance sustainable innovations at scale through sharing of environmental best practices, tools and resources.
Quarterly Membership Meetings
SP hosts quarterly membership meetings rotating across key automotive regions in the USA to provide an opportunity for members to connect and share environmental sustainability best practices and strategies with industry peers and government partners, learn about emerging issues impacting the environment and their business operations, and identify new opportunities for collaborative action.
SP Work Groups
SP maintains a number of member-driven working groups and initiatives to facilitate best practice sharing and advance collaboration related to established focus issues, including:
- Biodiversity: Demonstrating leadership as an industry by working together to create a connected corridor of wildlife habitat across our operations, and within the communities in which we operate, to create meaningful new habitat for migratory species of concern in North America such as the Monarch butterfly.
- Carbon / Energy: Providing a forum to support industry dialogue on common definitions / tools / resources for measuring and advancing carbon reduction efforts across the supply chain.
- EHS Forum: Providing a forum to facilitate deeper discussions and connections among SP members related to current and emerging environment, health and safety issues impacting the automotive industry.
- Emerging Professionals: SP Emerging Professionals Work Group (SP EP) members are working to cultivate their current work environments into sustainable and inclusive communities, adopting the mindset of ‘No action is too small’, while promoting sustainability in all business operations.
- Global Product Chemical Compliance Process Management: Providing a forum to support OEM / supplier dialogue on emerging global product chemical compliance process management challenges and opportunities.
- Materials Efficiency: Working to move the automotive industry towards a circular materials economy. The work group promotes collaboration amongst automotive manufacturers and suppliers to incorporate sustainable practices, processes, and materials in the production and content of vehicles.
- Responsible Battery: Providing a forum for SP members to share information on end of life issues and opportunities relating to advanced EV batteries and for members to work together to advance responsible management of such technologies through their lifecycle.
- Technology & Innovation: providing a structured process to assist companies of all sizes within the SP network to share innovative ideas and solutions that can address our member companies’ significant environmental sustainability challenges and needs.
Alianza Automotriz Para La Sustentabilidad Ambiental (AASA) is an initiative of SP designed to provide automobile original equipment manufacturers and their suppliers the opportunity to improve their environmental performance and competitiveness, while providing value throughout the automobile supply chain in Mexico.