SP Member News Roundup – November 2022
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through November 2022 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- ABC 2022 ESG Report. ABC Technologies announced its annual ESG Report for its 2022 fiscal year. View the latest report here.
- American Battery Technology Company Selected for $10M Additional US DOE Grant to Commercialize NextGen Battery Recycling Technologies for Vulnerable Domestic Battery Markets. ABTC has been awarded a $10M additional competitive grant under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law to demonstrate and commercialize next generation techniques for its lithium-ion battery recycling processes to produce low-cost and low-environmental impact domestic battery materials. Read more.
- Coming full circle on sustainability: 100% polyester carpet systems. Autoneum announced it has introduced new recyclable carpet systems made of 100% polyester and featuring a high content of recycled raw materials. Autoneum reports their zero waste and latex-free manufacturing process also significantly reduces CO2 emissions as well as water and energy consumption. Read more.
- Cirba Solutions and General Motors Extend Collaboration. Cirba Solutions has extended a prior agreement with General Motors (GM) to recycle electric vehicle (EV) lithium-ion battery and cell scrap generated by manufacturing and research at select GM facilities through 2024. With more than a million pounds of batteries already recycled by GM, this program is expected to process even more material as EV production expands. Read more.
- Cirba Solutions Receives Additional $7+ Million from the DOE. Cirba Solutions is the recipient of a grant of $7.4 million from the Department of Energy under President Biden’s Bipartisan Infrastructure Law’s Electric Drive Vehicle Battery Recycling and Second Life provision. Grant funds will support the scalability of lithium-ion processing out of its Lancaster, Ohio facility for the evaluation of approaches to advancing cost-effective lithium-ion processing and recycling technologies. Read more.
- Clarios Foundation and UNICEF Partner to Help Protect Children from Environmental Harm. Clarios Foundation and UNICEF announced the renewal and expansion of their partnership to help reduce environmental hazards and create healthy environments for children. The new $20 million commitment from Clarios Foundation will support UNICEF’s Healthy Environments for Healthy Children programme between 2023 to 2026. Read more.
- Clarios 2022 ESG Report. Clarios has released its most recent Environment, Social & Governance (ESG) Report. View the latest report to learn more about the company’s progress here.
- DENSO Announces North America Energy Policy Statement. DENSO has created a North America Energy Policy Statement as part of its efforts to contribute to a green and sustainable world. The policy statement demonstrates DENSO’s commitment to reducing energy use and decarbonizing operations at its North American locations, with each pushing the company closer to its global carbon neutrality goals. Read more.
- Ford Announces Strategic Partnership With Manufacture 2030 To Enhance Supply Chain Sustainability. Ford Motor Company and Manufacture 2030 announced a strategic partnership to help Ford’s suppliers meet their carbon reduction targets toward Ford’s goal of reaching carbon neutrality no later than 2050 globally, and by 2035 in Europe. Read more.
- Ford Announces $1 Million Capital Grants Program Backed By Ford Fund To Support Non-Profit Organizations In West Tennessee. The Ford Motor Company Fund, the company’s philanthropic arm, is announcing a new $1 million capital grants program to strengthen and improve local communities’ infrastructure in West Tennessee, home to BlueOval City, Ford’s new $5.6 billion electric vehicle and battery manufacturing campus. Read more.
- Nel and GM collaborate on cost competitive renewable hydrogen production. Nel Hydrogen US has entered into a joint development agreement with General Motors to help accelerate the industrialization of Nel’s proton exchange membrane (PEM) electrolyser platform. Read more.
- VinES and Li-Cycle Launch Global Battery Recycling Partnership. Li-Cycle and Vines Energy Solutions announced the launch of a global recycling partnership. Vingroup is the largest private conglomerate in Vietnam. Read more.
- Princeton NuEnergy (PNE) Awarded $12M Grant from U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Princeton NuEnergy Inc. has been awarded a $12 million grant from the U.S. Department of Energy through DE-FOA-0002680. This grant was established to reduce the nation’s dependence on foreign materials, enhance domestic manufacturing capabilities, and create well-paying clean energy jobs. Read more.
- Toyota Joins The Water Council’s WAVE Program. The Water Council announced Toyota Motor North America has signed onto The Water Council’s WAVE program, enhancing its commitment to water stewardship by developing meaningful strategies, goals and actions around water use. Read more.
- WHC presents 2022 Ibis Award to Toyota Motor Manufacturing, West Virginia. WHC (Wildlife Habitat Council) has announced the winner of the 2022 Ibis Award — Toyota Motor Manufacturing, West Virginia (TMMWV), located in Buffalo, West Virginia. The Ibis Award recognizes a WHC-certified program that has demonstrated resiliency of spirit and advancement of conservation despite unforeseen or unique challenges. Read more.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to email@example.com for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.