SP Member News Roundup – March 2022
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through March 2022 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- DENSO Deploys Beam Global Sustainable Electric Vehicle Charging Systems at Tennessee Location, Supports Company’s Green Focus. DENSO has deployed five EV ARC™ solar-powered charging systems from Beam Global at its Maryville, Tennessee, location. The charging systems, which have been installed at buildings across campus, are available to all DENSO employees with battery electric vehicles (BEVs) and plug-in hybrid vehicles. Learn more.
- Edison Energy, RENEW Energy Partners earmark $50 million for Accelerate℠ Auto Program to decarbonize auto supply chain. Edison Energy and RENEW Energy Partners have established a $50 million fund for decarbonization efforts aimed at suppliers within the auto industry. Learn more.
- Edison Energy partners with WattTime to help corporate buyers maximize carbon emissions reductions. Edison Energy is partnering with environmental tech nonprofit WattTime to help corporate renewable energy buyers achieve carbon emission reductions and reach their net zero goals in the fight against climate change. Learn more.
- Ford Releases Inaugural Human Rights Report, Increases Climate Risk Disclosure In 2022 Integrated Report. Ford’s second annual Integrated Sustainability and Financial Report marks the company’s 23rd year of sustainability reporting. Supplementing the report is a standalone human rights report plus a combined task force on climate-related financial disclosures and climate risk scenario report. Learn more.
- GM Expands its North America-focused EV Supply Chain with POSCO Chemical in Canada. General Motors Co. and POSCO Chemical announced that they are working with the governments of Canada and Quebec to build a new facility in Bécancour, Quebec, estimated at $400 million. The new facility will produce cathode active material (CAM) for GM’s Ultium batteries. Learn more.
- PG&E and General Motors Collaborate on Pilot to Reimagine Use of Electric Vehicles as Backup Power Sources for Customers. Pacific Gas and Electric Company and General Motors announced a breakthrough collaboration to pilot the use of GM electric vehicles as on-demand power sources for homes in PG&E’s service area. Learn more.
- Consumers Energy, General Motors Agree to Power Three Michigan Auto Plants with 100% Clean Energy. Consumers Energy and General Motors announced a new pledge to power Michigan automotive plants in Flint, Burton and Wyoming with clean energy, partnering to build the next generation of vehicles in Michigan, where both companies are headquartered. Learn more.
- Honda to Install Stationary Fuel Cell Power Station on California Campus as First Step Toward Commercialization of Zero-Emission Backup Power Generation. Honda announced plans to install a stationary fuel cell power station on its corporate campus in Torrance, Calif. by early 2023. The station will serve as a proof of concept for the future commercialization of a power generation unit for use as a zero-emission backup power source for facilities such as data centers, which require reliable and clean auxiliary power generation to continue operations even in emergency situations. Learn more.
- Magna Growing Battery Enclosures Business, Expanding in Ontario. With the increasing shift toward vehicle electrification, Magna is leveraging its body and chassis expertise to provide innovative battery enclosures. The company announced that it is expanding its operations into Chatham, as an extension of its current operations in St. Thomas to support new business from Ford Motor Company. Learn more.
- Retriev Technologies Acquires Battery Solutions. Retriev Technologies has acquired Battery Solutions. The combined offering brings two complementary industry leaders together to create a comprehensive battery management solution in North America. Learn more.
- Dare Forward 2030: Stellantis’ Blueprint for Cutting-Edge Freedom of Mobility. Stellantis N.V. unveiled Dare Forward 2030, its strategic plan for the coming decade that will drive Stellantis employees to be ‘second to none’ in value creation for all stakeholders. Stellantis commits to becoming an industry champion in the fight against climate change, reaching carbon net zero emissions by 2038. Learn more.
- Stellantis and LG Energy Solution to Invest Over $5 Billion CAD in Joint Venture for First Large Scale Lithium-Ion Battery Production Plant in Canada. Stellantis N.V. and LG Energy Solution (LGES) announced they have executed binding, definitive agreements to establish the first large scale, domestic, electric vehicle battery manufacturing facility in Canada. The joint venture company will produce lithium-ion battery cells and modules to meet a significant portion of Stellantis’ vehicle production requirements in North America. Learn more.
- Stellantis Ventures Launches with €300 Million Fund to Propel Innovation Uptake. Stellantis announced the launch of its first venture capital fund with the creation of Stellantis Ventures. The fund will initially invest €300 million in early and later-stage startup companies developing innovative, customer-centric technologies that could be deployed within the automotive and mobility sector. Learn more.
- Tetra Tech Receives Six Environment and Climate Change Industry Awards. Tetra Tech, Inc. received six Environmental Business International (EBI) awards for excellent performance, innovation, and industry leadership. The annual awards from EBI’s Climate Change Business Journal (CCBJ)and Environmental Business Journal (EBJ) were presented at the Environmental Industry Summit XX on March 16, 2022, in San Diego, California. Learn more.
- Toyota and ChargePoint Enhance EV Driving Experience with Home and Public Charging. Toyota Motor North America, Inc. announced it will work with ChargePoint, Inc., a leading EV charging network, to offer customers home and public EV charging solutions. Learn more.
- Toyota Commits $110 Million to Education and Career Readiness. Creating limitless possibilities for all is the inspiration behind Driving Possibilities, a new $110 million education and community-focused program developed by Toyota. The aim is to create innovative educational programs and improve access to opportunities where barriers exist. Learn more.
- FigBytes and Toyota Tsusho make inroads on sustainability targets. Everybody wants to do their part to make the world a better place. That’s why FigBytes and Toyota Tsusho America, Inc. (TAI) are excited to announce their new collaboration. Learn more.
- Congratulations to our own SP Board of Directors member Vickie Lewis of VMX International on being named to Crain’s inaugural Notable Leaders in Sustainability list. Learn more.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to email@example.com for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.