SP Member News Roundup – June 2023
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through June 2023 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- Evaluation of “resource recycling system” that separates, recovers, and utilizes CO2 commenced at Nishio Plant. With the aim of achieving carbon neutrality in production by 2035, AISIN has commenced the evaluation of its newly developed “resource recycling system” that separates, recovers, and utilizes CO2 at the Nishio Die-Casting Plant South Building. Learn more.
- World’s First Demonstration Test of Glass Production Using Ammonia as Fuel in Actual Production Furnace, AGC announced that it has recently succeeded in the demonstration test of glass production using ammonia as fuel in an actual production furnace under the project entitled “Technology Development for the Utilization and Production of Ammonia as Fuel” which is being undertaken as a commissioned project by New Energy and Industrial Technology Development Organization. Learn More.
- ABTC Hits Major Technical Milestones on Path to Commercializing Lithium Hydroxide Refining Operations in Nevada, American Battery Technology Company announced that it has achieved all required milestones for the first phase of its U.S. Department of Energy $4.5M grant project for the design, construction, and operations of its lithium hydroxide from Nevada sedimentary claystone system. Learn More.
- CPKC and CSX Announce Planned Collaboration to Develop Additional Hydrogen Locomotives, Canadian Pacific Kansas City and CSX Corporation announced their intent to enter into a joint venture for the building and deployment of hydrogen locomotive conversion kits for diesel electric locomotives. Learn More.
- Cox & Captain Planet Fnd. Donate Learning Gardens, Cox Enterprises announced that it donated 22 Project Learning Gardens to elementary schools in metro Atlanta, Georgia, Phoenix, Arizona, San Diego and Orange County, California. These donations are part of a comprehensive partnership with the Captain Planet Foundation. Learn More.
- CSX Named Among Top 100 U.S. Companies in Forbes Sustainability Ranking, CSX Corporation has been named to the first-ever Forbes Net Zero Leaders list of the top 100 U.S. companies that are focused on reducing their carbon footprint and achieving their sustainability goals. Learn More.
- Cummins And Oak Ridge National Laboratory Develop Novel Steel Alloy Resulting In Significant Engine Improvements. Cummins Inc. announced the development of a new high temperature steel alloy in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL). The new material will increase the durability and ultimate efficiency of Cummins’ engines and better serve the company’s customers and fleets. Learn more.
- DENSO to Begin SOEC Demonstration at Hirose Plant to Produce and Use Green Hydrogen for Manufacturing, DENSO Corporation announced it plans to launch a pilot program in July at its Hirose Plant that uses an SOEC, a DENSO-developed device that produces green hydrogen through electrolysis of high-temperature steam, to help power and increase the sustainability of its manufacturing operations. Learn More.
- Eaton’s eMobility business receives a grant from state of Michigan to fund capabilities, add jobs. Eaton announced its eMobility business has secured a $600,000 grant from the Michigan Economic Development Corporation’s “Jobs Ready Michigan Program” to invest in three of its sites within the state. The funds will be used at Eaton’s Marshall, Southfield and Canton, Mich. campuses to expand the testing and research and development of electrified vehicle (EV) solutions. Learn more.
- Eaton showcases substantial progress on 2030 sustainability goals. Eaton has released its 2022 Sustainability Report. The report features the company’s substantial progress toward its 2030 sustainability goals. Learn more.
- Ecolab Releases 2022 Corporate Sustainability Report, Highlights Progress Toward 2030 Impact Goals, Ecolab Inc. released its 2022 Corporate Sustainability Report, which shows how the company is advancing its vision to build a 100% positive future. Learn More.
- Ford Announces Team Rubicon Powered By Ford, Ford Motor Company, the Ford Fund and Team Rubicon announce Team Rubicon Powered by Ford, a new disaster relief initiative that will serve the growing number of communities across the United States that are impacted by hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and wildfires. Learn More.
- Ford Opens Cologne EV Center – Home of a new generation of electric vehicles- First Carbon neutral assembly plant, Ford opened the Cologne Electric Vehicle Center, a hi-tech production facility in Germany that will build Ford’s new generation of electric passenger vehicles for millions of European customers. Learn More.
- GM and Element 25 to Expand U.S. EV Supply Chain with Domestic Manganese Sulfate Production, General Motors Co. and Element 25 Limited announced an agreement for Element 25 to supply up to 32,500 metric tons of manganese sulfate annually to support the annual production of more than 1 million GM EVs in North America. Learn More.
- GM and POSCO Future M to Expand EV Battery Supply Chain in North America with New Integrated CAM and Precursor Processing Complex, General Motors Co. and POSCO Future M announced the second phase of their Ultium CAM joint venture, an investment projected to exceed $1 billion to increase production capacity of CAM in North America and integrate precursor materials production. Learn More.
- ArcelorMittal North America Announces Supply Agreement with General Motors for North American-Sourced Sustainable XCarb® Steel, ArcelorMittal North America’s XCarb® RRP steel is made via the Electric Arc Furnace route and contains a stated minimum of 70% scrap, with up to 90% scrap, and does not use carbon offsets to achieve the reduced carbon intensity. Learn More.
- Heritage Interactive Services changes name to Envita Solutions, Heritage Interactive Services, a waste and recycling partner in North America, announced that it is changing its name to Envita Solutions. Derived from the English word “environment” and the Latin word “vita,” the new brand reflects the company’s vision of fostering a healthier planet by transforming complex waste challenges into sustainable solutions. Learn More. View Video.
- Honda Issues Second Annual Inclusion & Diversity Report Illustrating Company’s Commitment to Ongoing Progress, As part of Honda’s efforts to promote equality in its workforce and society, the company released its second annual Inclusion & Diversity Report: “Inclusion: Together, We Will Bring the Future.” The report includes company goals through 2030 and progress to date, as well as key sentiments from Honda leadership. This is the first report released since the inaugural report was shared in May of 2022. Learn More.
- Li-Cycle Joins the United Nations Global Compact Initiative, Li-Cycle Holdings Corp. announced it has joined the United Nations Global Compact initiative, a voluntary leadership platform for the development, implementation and disclosure of responsible business practices. Learn More.
- ASI welcomes Magna International Inc. as new Industrial User member, ASI (Aluminum Stewardship Initiative) announced that Magna International Inc. has joined as an Industrial User member. Learn More.
- Stellantis Signs Offtake Terms and Invests in Kuniko for Supply of Norwegian, Low Carbon Nickel and Cobalt Sulphate, Stellantis N.V. and Kuniko Ltd announced the signing of a binding offtake term sheet agreement securing a 35% future production offtake of nickel sulphate and cobalt sulphate from Kuniko’s Norwegian exploration projects for a term of nine years. Learn More.
- Stellantis Ventures Seeds Innovation with 11 Key Investments into Sustainable Mobility, Stellantis Ventures, the corporate venture fund of Stellantis N.V., has been formed to support and amplify the execution of Dare Forward 2030 strategic plan. Ten startup companies and one mobility venture fund have been considered so far as its first key investments. Learn More.
- Stellantis and Galloo to Form Joint Venture for End-of-Life Vehicle Recycling, Stellantis N.V. and metals recycler Galloo announced they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to enter into exclusive negotiations to form a joint venture focused on End-of-Life Vehicle recycling as part of the automaker’s continued commitment to build its circular economy activities. Learn More.
- Ricardo receives Technical Excellence supplier award from Toyota Motor North America, Ricardo, a global strategic, environmental, and engineering consulting company has been named as a recipient of a Technical Excellence Supplier Award by Toyota Motor North America. Learn More.
- Toyota to Build New Automotive Battery Lab at Michigan R&D Headquarters, Expanding Electrified Vehicle Development Capability in the U.S., Toyota Motor North America, Inc. announced that it will invest nearly $50 million to construct a new laboratory facility at its North American R&D headquarters in York Township, Mich. to evaluate batteries for electric and electrified vehicles in North America. Learn More.
- Toyota Ramps Up Commitment to Electrification with U.S. BEV Production and Additional Battery Plant Investment, Advancing its commitment to vehicle electrification and building where it sells, Toyota will assemble an all-new, three-row, battery electric SUV at Toyota Kentucky starting in 2025. The company’s first U.S.-assembled BEV will be powered by batteries from Toyota North Carolina. Learn More.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to email@example.com for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.