SP Member News Roundup – June 2021
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This series collects recent news and updates though June 30, 2021 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- Autoneum Releases 2020 Corporate Responsibility Report. Autoneum has released its 2020 Corporate Responsibility Report outlining its key developments, activities and results in the area of Corporate Responsibility, including the launch of the “Autoneum Pure” sustainability label for its most eco-efficient products. Read More.
- Ford and Origin Partner to Improve Auto Supply Chain with PET Plastic Made from Wood. Ford Motor Company is working on an automotive supply chain initiative focused on finding drop-in applications for carbon-negative PET plastic produced from sustainable wood residues. Read More.
- General Motors and Shell Offer Renewable Energy Solutions to U.S. Homeowners, EV Owners and Suppliers. General Motors and Shell, through its wholly owned subsidiary MP2 Energy, LLC (“Shell”), are collaborating to provide comprehensive energy solutions programs to GM’s customers and supply chain partners, including fixed-rate home energy plans backed by 100 percent renewable energy resources. Read More.
- GM Will Boost EV and AV Investments to $35 Billion Through 2025. General Motors Co. announced it will increase its EV and AV investments from 2020 through 2025 to $35 billion, representing a 75 percent increase from its initial commitment announced prior to the pandemic. Read More.
- Senator Stabenow Visits Global Battery Solutions to Announce Major Progress on Her Make It in America Agenda. U.S. Senator Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) visited Global Battery Solutions to highlight the progress made on her Make It in America agenda. Global Battery Solutions is an industry leader in battery research and development and provides a comprehensive approach to repair, remanufacture, repurpose, and recycle batteries. Read More.
- Henkel Adhesive Technologies is driving progress towards the company`s sustainability goals in operations. Climate positivity, Circular Economy and Social Progress – these are the three pillars of Henkel’s sustainability strategy. Within the Adhesives Technologies business unit, the Global Operations and Supply Chain organization has put strategy into action by investing in different projects around the world that maintain steady progress in each area. Read More.
- Honda Honors its 2020 Top OEM and Service Parts Suppliers in North America. Honda honored 61 North American suppliers for their performance and perseverance in supplying parts and materials during 2020. This year, the Sustainability Award was given to East Penn Manufacturing of Lyons Station, Penn. Read More.
- Battery Resourcers Signs Agreement with Honda to Recycle Lithium-ion Batteries. Battery Resourcers, a vertically integrated lithium-ion battery recycling and manufacturing company, announced an agreement with American Honda Motor Co. to recycle Honda & Acura Electric Vehicles (EV) batteries. Read More.
- Li-Cycle Partners with Renewance to Expand Services for Energy Storage Market. Li-Cycle Corp. announced a partnership with Renewance, a leading life-cycle battery management company, to deliver a safe, sustainable, and cost-effective lithium-ion battery recycling solution for end-of-life energy storage systems. Read More.
- Retriev Technologies Inc. and HOBI International, Inc. Announce New Collaboration for Collection of EV Batteries. HOBI International Inc. (HOBI) and Retriev Technologies Inc. (Retriev) have entered into a collaborative partnership for the purpose of collecting and recycling large format electric vehicle (EV) batteries throughout North America. Read More.
- Retriev has partnered with Strategic Energy Management to reduce electric and natural gas loads. Retriev Technologies has begun participation in a two-year Strategic Energy Management (SEM) program offered by Fortis BC. The goal of the program is to reduce electric and natural gas loads through the implementation of low/no cost measures while creating a culture of energy efficiency within the organization. Read More.
- Stellantis Kicks Off Detroit’s Greenest Initiative, $1 Million Community Initiative to Boost City’s East Side. As part of a comprehensive three-year, $1 million effort to support eastside neighborhoods around the Detroit Assembly Complex, Stellantis launched Detroit’s Greenest Initiative, the company’s plan to make Detroit’s east side the most environmentally friendly neighborhood. Read More.
- What’s Buzzing at CTC. Recently, the Chrysler Technology Center (CTC) Wildlife at Work committee at the Auburn Hills, Michigan, campus led efforts to introduce new beehives to the existing pollinator gardens at CTC. The pollinator gardens were created in recent years to attract bees and other pollinating insects in an effort to boost the surrounding ecosystem. Read More.
- Toyota aims to make its factories carbon neutral by 2035, says exec. Toyota Motor Corp will aim to make all its global factories carbon neutral by 2035, a senior executive said, pulling forward the goal by 15 years from 2050. Read More.
- Toyota AI Ventures announces rebrand as Toyota Ventures and an additional $300M to invest in emerging technologies and carbon neutrality. Toyota’s first standalone, early-stage venture capital firm, Toyota AI Ventures, will change its name to Toyota Ventures and grow its total assets under management to more than $500 million with the addition of two $150 million early-stage funds: the Toyota Ventures Frontier Fund and the Toyota Ventures Climate Fund. Read More.
- Univar Solutions 2020 Sustainability Report. Our new report, “Today. Tomorrow. Together.” marks a significant moment in our journey toward a more sustainable future. Over the last 13 years, we have advanced our sustainability efforts and commitment to environmental, social and commercial responsibility, living up to our values and helping keep our communities healthy, fed, clean and safe. Read More.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.