SP Member News Roundup – April 2022
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through April 2022 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- Leading Battery Materials Company Expanding Operations Globally. Retriev Technologies & Battery Solutions and Interaktif Cevre (a joint venture between The Heritage Group and Kibar Group) announced their intention to develop sites for a battery recycling and materials upgrade operation and collection network in Turkey. Learn more.
- Bolder Industries Gains ISCC PLUS Certification. Bolder Industries, Inc. announced that its Maryville, Missouri facility has been ISCC PLUS (International Sustainability and Carbon Certification) certified for circular carbon black (BolderBlack®) and pyrolysis oil (BolderOil™). Learn more.
- Call2Recycle Partners with Li Industries to Innovate Battery Sorting and Recycling. Call2Recycle announced a partnership with Li Industries to augment its battery sorting and recycling using Li Industries’ innovative technology. The partnership will initially focus on commercializing Li Industries’ unique battery sorting technology, which will allow end-of-life batteries to be more efficiently and accurately sorted by battery chemistry. Learn more.
- Clean Earth Recycles Over 93% Of Waste Processed; More Than 8 Billion Pounds In 2021. Clean Earth announced that it has succeeded in recycling more than 8 billion pounds of waste last year, including several hard-to-treat specialty wastes, such as hazardous and non-hazardous waste, contaminated soil, dredge material, universal and e-waste. Learn more.
- DENSO Joins U.S. Department of Energy’s Better Plants Program. DENSO is an official partner in the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Better Plants program. One of DENSO’s Two Great Causes is “Green” – achieving carbon neutrality by 2035. Collaborating with the DOE helps DENSO reach its sustainability goals by reducing the environmental impact of its manufacturing operations and energy use. Learn more.
- Ford Funds Stream Restoration At University Of Tennessee’s Lone Oaks Farm. Ford Motor Company and the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture announced they have signed a stream mitigation and restoration agreement that will restore the stream waters flowing through the University’s Lone Oaks Farm. Learn more.
- GM Asks Suppliers to Sign Pledge Advancing Global Climate Action and Human Rights. General Motors announced an innovative new pledge that invites global suppliers to join the company in a commitment to carbon neutrality, the development of social responsibility programs and implementation of sustainable procurement practices in their supply chain operations. Learn more.
- GM and Glencore Enter Multi-Year Cobalt Supply Agreement. Glencore and General Motors Co. announced a multi-year sourcing agreement in which Glencore will supply GM with cobalt from its Murrin Murrin operation in Australia. The agreement builds on a commitment both companies share to create strong, sustainable and resilient supply chains through collective industry and multi-stakeholder platforms. Learn more.
- General Motors Releases 2021 Sustainability Report. General Motors released its 12th annual Sustainability Report, detailing its progress on expanding EV access, electrifying beyond the personal vehicle, and helping to ensure that climate action is equitable and inclusive as the company transitions to an all-electric future. Learn more.
- Heritage-Crystal Clean, Inc. Announces Investment in Battery Recycling Partner Retriev. Heritage-Crystal Clean, Inc. announced an investment in its battery recycling partner, HBR Retriev Holdco, LLC (Retriev), through its operating subsidiary, Heritage-Crystal Clean, LLC. Learn more.
- Honda Briefing on Automobile Electrification Business. Over the next 10 years, Honda will allocate approximately 5 trillion yen in the area of electrification and software technologies to further accelerate its electrification, including both R&D expenses and separate investments. Learn more.
- Li-Cycle Completes Commercial Agreements with LG Chem and LG Energy Solution. Li-Cycle announced that it has completed commercial agreements with LG Energy Solution, Ltd. for the supply of manufacturing scrap for recycling and with each of LGES and LG Chem, Ltd. for the sale of nickel sulphate from Li-Cycle’s Rochester Hub. Learn more.
- Stellantis Publishes First Corporate Social Responsibility Report. Just one year after the Company was formed, Stellantis published its first Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) report, detailing its performance across key metrics in 2021, as well as outlining its detailed sustainability roadmap including the commitment to reach industry-leading carbon net zero emissions by 2038. Learn more.
- The CTC Wildlife at Work Road to Gold. Signs of spring are all around the Stellantis North America Headquarters and Technology Center (CTC) campus. Whether it’s the wildlife reemerging from winter, or the flowers and plants blooming, employees returning to the office can enjoy all the familiar beautiful sights of the season. Learn more.
- Pollinator Partnership Honors 2021 Monarch Sustainer of the Year Award Winner Toyota Motor North America. Pollinator Partnership is pleased to present Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) with the 2021 Monarch Sustainer of the Year award. This award recognizes a business that has shown exceptional leadership and action in providing habitat and awareness for monarchs along their migratory corridors. Learn more.
- Toyota, NEEF and P2 Team Up on Pollinator Friendly Places Project. Toyota announced it is donating $400,000 to the National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF) and the Pollinator Partnership (P2) that will be used to enhance 26,000 acres of pollinator habitat across North America over the next five years. Learn more.
- VLS 2021 ESG Report. VLS announced it has published its 2021 annual ESG report. Learn more.
- WM’s Renewable Energy Investments Expected To Power Over 1 Million Homes By 2026. WM plans to invest $825 million in its renewable energy footprint from 2022-2025 by expanding its renewable natural gas (RNG) infrastructure. With the benefit of such investments, WM’s network of RNG plants, landfill gas-to-electricity plants and other beneficial use projects are estimated to enable the company to provide enough renewable energy to supply the equivalent of 1 million homes across North America and help WM fuel its entire natural gas fleet with RNG by 2026. Learn more.
- Apply for 2022 Automotive Environmental Sustainability Awards. The Suppliers Partnership for the Environment (SP) has opened the call for applications for its 2022 Awards Program. Learn more.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to email@example.com for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.