SP Member News Roundup – November 2023
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers and their large and small suppliers to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through November 2023 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- Autoneum receives EcoVadis gold medal for sustainability, Autoneum Holding Ltd has been awarded the gold medal in the 2023 EcoVadis sustainability rating, ranking the automotive supplier in the top 5% of companies assessed. Following a silver medal the previous year, the Company was able to further improve the overall rating of its sustainability performance in the four categories Environment, Labor and Human Rights, Ethics and Sustainable Procurement and achieved the second-highest recognition level. Click Here,
- BASF and SK On entered into an agreement to evaluate collaboration opportunities in the global lithium-ion battery market, BASF and SK On have entered into an agreement to jointly evaluate collaboration opportunities in the global lithium-ion battery market focused on North America and Asia-Pacific. The collaboration brings together strong business and product development capabilities to develop industry-leading battery materials for lithium-ion batteries. Click Here.
- BASF and Teamplas give waste a second life, BASF and Teamplas Group have collaborated to transform post-consumer waste into new high-quality office equipment and car interior parts with the help of BASF’s IrgaCycle®. Click Here.
- Cirba Solutions & Call2Recycle Expand Consumer Lithium-Ion Battery Strategic Alliance, Cirba Solutions is expanding their collaboration with Call2Recycle. Cirba Solutions will serve as the non-profit’s strategic partner in processing post-consumer lithium-ion batteries. Click Here.
- DSD Receives $250M Strategic Investment from Cox Enterprises, DSD Renewables has received a $250 million strategic investment from Cox Enterprises, Inc. to support DSD’s growth as it continues to realize its mission of accelerating renewable energy deployment. Click Here.
- GM Ventures and Niron Magnetics Pursue Affordable, Sustainable EV Motor Magnets, EV motors are a key element of GM’s Ultium Platform — their magnets present a great opportunity to reduce cost and environmental impact compared to traditional magnet materials, while localizing our EV supply chain in North America. Click Here.
- Ohio State, Honda, business, state, federal leaders announce partnership for battery cell research center, The Ohio State University was joined by Ohio Lt. Gov. Jon Husted, congressional leaders, Honda, Schaeffler Americas and JobsOhio officials to announce the creation of a new battery cell research and development center. Slated to open in April 2025, the lab will accelerate the domestic development of battery cell materials and manufacturing technologies while providing an experiential learning setting for advanced battery technology workforce development. Click Here.
- Bridgestone and Michelin to Present Findings from Year-Long Effort on Recovered Carbon Black in Joint White paper, Following the joint call to action around recovered carbon black at the 2021 Smithers rCB conference, Bridgestone Corporation and Michelin Group have published a joint technical white paper to share the results of their work with stakeholders in the rCB community to develop a proposed global standard to increase the utilization of recovered carbon black material in tires. Click Here.
- Renew Energy Partners and EnergyRM Join Forces to Invest $200M In Energy Retrofit Projects, Renew Energy Partners and EnergyRM announced a strategic partnership that aims to decarbonize commercial real estate. RENEW will invest up to $200M in project capital via EnergyRM’s transaction platform to finance energy retrofits for commercial real estate owners. Click Here.
- Stellantis and CATL Sign Strategic MoU for the Local Supply of LFP Batteries for European Market, Stellantis N.V. and CATL announced the signing of a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding for the local supply of LFP battery cells and modules to power Stellantis’ electric vehicle production in Europe. To further support Stellantis’ aggressive electrification strategy, the two companies are considering the possibility to form a joint venture with equivalent contributions. Click Here.
- Toyota and Redwood Materials Agree to Battery Recycling, Materials Procurement, Progressing closer to the goal of battery ecosystem circularity, Toyota Motor North America and Redwood Materials announced an expanded recycling agreement that aims to create pathways for automotive batteries used in Toyota’s electrified vehicles that have reached the end of their life. Click Here.
- Toyota Supercharges North Carolina Battery Plant with New $8 Billion Investment, Toyota announced a new investment of nearly $8 billion that will add approximately 3,000 jobs at Toyota Battery Manufacturing North Carolina. This brings total investment to approximately $13.9 billion and job creation to more than 5,000 – further supporting Toyota’s multi-pathway approach to global vehicle electrification. Click Here
- Toyota Mobility Foundation Shortlists 10 Cities in $9 Million Global Challenge to Drive Innovation in City Mobility, The Toyota Mobility Foundation, in partnership with Challenge Works and World Resources Institute, announces the shortlist for the $9-million Sustainable Cities Challenge. Launched in June 2023, the global mobility challenge aims to help cities prepare for the future and has the potential to transform the lives of millions of people around the world. Click Here.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.