SP Member News Roundup – March 2023
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers, their large and small suppliers, the US EPA and other government entities from around the world to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through March 2023 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- Lithium-ion Battery Recycler ABTC Expands Operations with Purchase of Move-In Ready, Commercial-Scale Facility, American Battery Technology announced it has entered into agreements for the purchase of a move-in-ready, commercial-scale battery recycling facility located in the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center (TRIC) at 2500 Peru Drive, McCarran, Nevada, to expand operations of its first-of-kind lithium-ion battery recycling technologies.. Learn More.
- Enhanced CSX Carbon Calculator Helps Shippers Achieve Sustainability Goals, CSX announced the launch of an enhanced carbon emissions reduction calculator. The enhanced tool offers freight shippers increased insight into the environmental benefits of rail through analysis of customer-specific data to calculate potential greenhouse gas emissions saved by choosing rail. Learn More.
- EV Battery Materials Facility in South Carolina, Cirba Solutions announced a phase I investment of more than $300 million into a world-class lithium-ion electric vehicle (EV) battery recycling flagship facility in South Carolina. The company is investing over $1 billion in the next five years to expand the infrastructure required to meet the growing demand for critical materials needed for EV batteries. Learn More.
- FDNY Approves CellBlock Fire Containment System for E-Mobility Batteries, CellBlock Fire Containment Systems announced its modular battery charging rack has obtained regulatory approval by the FDNY for use in charging lithium-ion batteries. The Charge Safe Battery Rack is the first and only approved system allowing for the bypass of NYC fire code 309.3, requiring 2 feet of separation between charging batteries not only adjacent but omnidirectional. Learn More.
- Deloitte and Circulor announce alliance to serve growing customer needs for supply chain visibility, Professional services firm Deloitte and Circulor announced that they have formed an alliance. Deloitte and Circulor recognize that greater visibility into complex industrial supply chains is now a business imperative. Learn More.
- Cirba Solutions & Jacobs form a Strategic Alliance, Cirba Solutions partners with Jacobs to build out battery material facilities to process critical minerals from electric vehicles and expand EV battery recycling capacity in North America. Learn More.
- Tevva Partners with Ecobat for First-Life Battery Management, British electric vehicle manufacturer Tevva has entered into a strategic partnership with Ecobat. The partnership kicks off with a 12-month pilot phase for first-life battery management, with the opportunity to expand into additional energy storage and recycling solutions. Learn More.
- FigBytes To Join New CDP API Pilot, FigBytes announced their participation in CDP’s new API (Application Programming Interface) pilot project, further extending interconnectivity from data to framework reporting. Learn More.
- Ford Highlighted As Corporate Leader In CDP Water Report, Building On Double A Score For Water Security And Climate Change. Ford has been recognized by the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) in a report highlighting current water risks and future water-related financial opportunities for businesses. The report highlights Ford’s water saving innovations in its manufacturing facilities around the world as real-world business success stories. Learn More.
- Publication of 2022 Annual and Climate Reports, Glencore plc announced it has published its Annual Report for the year ended 31 December 2022 and published its 2022 Climate Report, providing an update on the progress it has made on its Climate Action Transition Plan. Learn More.
- Honda’s Zero Emission Stationary Fuel Cell Provides Back Up Power to a Data Center, Honda began operation of a stationary fuel cell power station on its corporate campus in Torrance, Calif., marking the company’s first step toward future commercialization of zero-emission backup power generation. The initiative leverages Honda’s hydrogen fuel cell technology expertise and contributes to the company’s global goal to achieve carbon neutrality for all products and corporate activities by 2050. Learn More.
- Li-Cycle and KION Group Form Strategic Global Lithium-Ion Battery Recycling Partnership; Li-Cycle Announces New Spoke Development in France, Li-Cycle Holdings Corp. has signed a definitive agreement for a global lithium-ion battery recycling partnership with the KION Group, a leading global provider of industrial trucks and supply chain solutions. The Company is also pleased to announce plans to develop a new lithium-ion battery recycling facility in France. Learn More.
- Li-Cycle Releases Interim Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Report, Li-Cycle announced the publication of its 2022 Interim Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Report (the “2022 Interim ESG Report”). Learn More.
- Maven VCTs invest in climate tech software specialist Manufacture 2030, The Maven VCTs, alongside the Amati AIM VCT, have invested £5 million in Manufacture 2030 (M2030), an Oxford based technology company, that works with some of the world’s largest businesses to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across the value chain. Learn More.
- Scandinavian Enviro Systems and Antin Infrastructure Partners to create large-scale tire recycling group, supported by Michelin, Scandinavian Enviro Systems and Antin Infrastructure Partners announced the formation of a joint venture supported by Michelin to create a large-scale tire recycling group. The JV plans to establish end-of-life tires recycling plants across Europe, with a total capacity to recycle up to 1 million tons of end-of-life tires annually by 2030. Learn More.
- PureCycle, Mitsui Sign Heads of Agreement, PureCycle Technologies and Mitsui & Co. Ltd. (Mitsui) announced a signed heads of agreement (HOA) to develop and operate a polypropylene (PP) recycling plant in Japan. Learn More.
- The U.S. Department of Energy and Stellantis Announce the Battery Workforce Challenge, The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and Stellantis announced the launch of the Battery Workforce Challenge, which includes a three-year collegiate engineering competition; vocational training; youth education in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM); and career and technical education. Learn More.
- Stellantis Announces Strategic Copper Investment in Argentina, Reinforcing Commitment to Reaching Carbon Net Zero by 2038, Stellantis announced a $155 million investment in a project located in Argentina, which will make a major contribution to the Company’s plan to become carbon net zero by 2038. Learn More.
- Toyota to Accelerate Plant Decarbonization Efforts in Fukushima Using Hydrogen, Toyota Motor Corporation (Toyota) has been working with Fukushima Prefecture since June 2021 toward the development of new future cities using both hydrogen produced in Fukushima and hydrogen-related technologies developed there. As part of these efforts, Toyota has been collaborating with the DENSO Group to use hydrogen along with renewable energy to decarbonize plants. Learn More.
- Yamaha Motor First to Use Green Aluminum in Japanese Motorcycles, Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. announced that it has reached an agreement with an aluminum ingot supplier for the procurement of green aluminum and began using it as a raw material for parts in Yamaha motorcycles in February 2023. This is the first time for green aluminum to be used in Japanese motorcycles and the Company plans to gradually expand its usage in models going forward. Learn More.
- Yamaha Motor Continues Commitment to Reduce Carbon Footprint with Investment in Andes, a CO2 Removal Biotechnology Startup, Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. announced a new investment in Andes Ag, Inc., a U.S.-based startup pursuing research into beneficial microorganism technologies to remove CO2 from the air. Learn More.
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to firstname.lastname@example.org for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.