SP Member News Roundup – January 2024
SP provides a forum for global automotive manufacturers and their large and small suppliers to work together toward a shared vision of an automotive industry with positive environmental impact.
This monthly series collects recent news and updates through January 2024 highlighting efforts of SP member companies and partners to advance initiatives with positive environmental impact.
- Arkema acquires a stake in Tiamat and accelerates in next generation batteries, Since 2017, the start-up Tiamat has been designing, developing, industrializing and marketing sodium-ion batteries, a new lithium-free technology enabling in particular to avoid the constraints associated with the supply of this metal. Click Here
- ACC partners with Circulor to provide unprecedented supply chain transparency of its battery cells, Automotive Cells Company and Circulor announce their partnership to prove the provenance, material journey, and embedded carbon emissions of the raw materials ACC uses in its battery cells. Click Here
- BASF Coatings steps up initiatives to steer sustainability criteria for global collision repair industry, BASF’s Coatings division is engaging in discussions with industry partners including industry associations, insurers, work providers, fleet and leasing operators as well as body shops to establish a global certification standard in the automotive refinish industry to manage the growing demand for sustainable accident repairs and the need to create one uniform standard based on tested criteria. Click Here
- Iveco Group chooses BASF as first recycling partner for electric vehicle batteries, Iveco Group announces the selection of BASF as its first partner to provide a recycling solution for the lithium-ion batteries of the Group’s electric vehicles. Click Here
- Clarios and Altris Announce Collaboration Agreement to Advance Sustainable Sodium-Ion Battery Technology, Clarios and Altris announced they have created an innovative partnership aimed at developing low-voltage sodium-ion batteries for the automotive industry. Click Here
- Clean Earth and Veolia North America Sign First-of-its-Kind Hazardous Waste Treatment Agreement, Clean Earth and Veolia North America have executed a long-term collaborative agreement for significant incineration capacity at a new thermal facility in Southwest Arkansas. Click Here
- Betterfrost Collaborates with DENSO and the Ontario Vehicle Innovation Network to Improve the Range of EVs in Extreme Heat and Cold, Betterfrost is proud to announce a new collaboration with DENSO. With nearly $500,000 from the Ontario Government’s Ontario Vehicle Innovation Network R&D Partnership Fund and an additional $1.25 million in industry contribution, the project will have a value of nearly $1.5 million. Click Here
- DENSO Works with ESG to Reduce Carbon, Improve Sustainability in Battle Creek, Michigan, Operations, DENSO is working with Energy Systems Group (ESG) to increase the sustainability of operations at its thermal manufacturing facility in Battle Creek, Michigan. Through the collaboration, the energy solutions company is replacing and updating compressed air systems at the DENSO site, enhancing its energy efficiency and climate friendliness. Click Here
- Eaton Adds Remanufactured Advantage Line Clutches to its Portfolio, Eaton announced its Mobility Group has added its Advantage® series clutch to its remanufactured product portfolio. Eaton remanufactures thousands of transmissions and clutches annually to maximize the reuse of materials, which keeps them out of landfills, saves energy, reduces emissions and waste. Click Here
- Electrifying Ecolab’s North American Sales and Service Fleet by 2030, Ecolab announced it is converting 100% of its North American sales and service fleet to electric vehicles by 2030. Click Here
- Parts of your Future Car Could be Made from Olives, Every year, pruning olive trees creates 7 million tons of waste. Ford engineers in Cologne launched an innovative research project to explore how that food waste could be re-purposed to create auto part prototypes. Click Here.
- GM-Honda Begin Commercial Production at Industry’s First Hydrogen Fuel Cell System Manufacturing Joint Venture, GM and Honda announced the start of production at their 50-50 joint venture production facility, FCSM. FCSM is the first large-scale manufacturing joint venture to build fuel cells. Click Here
- How GM’s Headlamp Remanufacturing Program Has Kept Over 100 Truckloads of Parts from Ending up in Landfills, GM and Llink Technologies have collaborated to eliminate 95% of headlamp waste. Click Here
- Makersite announces strategic partnership with WSP, Makersite announces its strategic partnership with WSP. Click Here
- Inauguration of the first industrial-scale demonstrator of a plant producing butadiene from bioethanol in France, Michelin, IFPEN and Axens inaugurated the first industrial-scale demonstrator of a plant producing bio-based butadiene in France, at Michelin’s site in Bassens near Bordeaux. Click Here
- Sphera Acquires SupplyShift, a Pioneer in Supply Chain Sustainability Software, Sphera announces that it has acquired SupplyShift, a supply chain sustainability software company that empowers businesses to build transparent, responsible and resilient supply chains. Click Here
- Stellantis Ventures Invests in Tiamat and Affordable Sodium-Ion Battery Technology, Stellantis Ventures announced its participation as a strategic investor in Tiamat, a France-based company that is developing and commercializing sodium-ion battery technology. Click Here
SP members may send their environmental sustainability news to email@example.com for consideration in future news roundups. And, be sure to follow us on LinkedIn to keep up with the latest SP news and updates.